Aftercare For Your New Tattoo
- Leave bandage or wrap in place for at least 2 hours, unless specifically instructed by your artist. Depending on the extent and intesity of the work, they may ask you to leave it on longer.
- WASH your hands before and after removing the bandage. Only touch your tattoo with CLEAN hands.
- Gently wash your tattoo with antibacteral fragrance free soap, and rinse with cool water. Blot dry with a clean paper towel. Do not use cloth towels on your tattoo.
- Apply a very thin layer of tattoo aftercare or AQUAPHOR.
- Clean and moisturize your tattoo a couple of times a day. Use common sense, if you are around unclean conditions, wash your tattoo again using the steps above. It is extremely important to keep your tattoo clean, but also don’t over do it!
- For the first week, avoid swimming, soaking in chlorine pools, hot tubs, ocean, lakes or other bodies of water.
- Avoid too much sun exposure on your tattoo for the first month. Use sun block to protect the life of your tattoo. UV rays destroy the pigments, and will cause your tattoo to fade quickly.
- Do not pick or scratch your tattoo! Your tattoo will possibly get itchy in a few days as it goes through the flaking stage.
- Wear clean, dry, loose clothing. Make sure bedding is also clean.
- Your tattoo will look flaky during the first week or so. The dead skin will flake off by itself as your tattoo heals.
- Your tattoo may feel sore or similar to a sun burn during the first week. This is normal.
- If redness or swelling developes, contact your doctor.
- Everyone heals differently, some tattoos may heal in a week, but may take up to a month for it to be completely healed.
Before coming in for your appointment, we suggest a few tips that might help. Click HERE.